History

JIZERKA VILLAGE 

In the 16th century people came to the virgin forests of the Jizera uplands to search for precious stones. The first written records date from this time. The sporadically inhabited settlement was named "Bukowec". Records show that at the end of the 18th century there were 7 buildings and the inhabitants made a living from forestry work, poaching and smuggling.

  • In 1829 the glassworks opened. At the peak of the glass industry here Jizerka had a population of around 450 people, there were a school, pub, sawmill, bakery, blacksmith and other craftsmen.
  • In 1911 the glassworks was shut down. The glassworks in the valleys using bituminous coal were more efficient than those in the mountains, which were heated using wood.
  • At the end of the 19th century mountain tourism began to take off. Some houses became hostels, others pubs.
  • After World War Two most of the buildings in Jizerka were nationalised and transferred to be used by the State Forestry Commission.
  • With the arrival of chainsaws and other machinery the forestry workers slowly began to leave the woods. Larger cottages were converted to recreation centres, the smaller ones to private chalets.
  • In the 1980s the surrounding woodland was hit by an ecological catastrophe. The single-species spruce forests, weakened by acid rain from the power stations in the foothills, were killed off by the bark beetle. Most of the trees in the area were cut down.
  • In the 1990s the recreation centres became private guest houses and restaurants.
  • The surrounding forests began to grow again. The first wave saw the planting mainly of spruce, although these have more recently been joined by stands of deciduous trees.
  • Jizerka has regained its magic and today is an ideal place for quiet or active recreation in the countryside.

PANSKÝ DUM

This building was constructed in 1829 by the king of the Jizera Mountains glassmakers, Franz Riedel, together with the glassworks in Jizerka.

At the beginning of the 20th century the house was used for recreation, and later as an outbuilding for the forestry workers. Today the site is a listed building. From the outside it has preserved much of its former dignity.

Historic photo

At the beginning of 2002 the interior of the building looked much worse. It was necessary to restore the magic of the building, or at least to create it virtually from scratch. In the nineteen-seventies there was an insensitive attempt at reconstruction. Luckily the conversion of the Panský dům to a large-scale accommodation facility never came about. Nevertheless, the incomplete reconstruction project certainly protected and saved the basic support structure of the building. It fell into disuse for a long time and the parts restored by the original and subsequent owners slowly fell into disrepair. The building was obviously used widely by vagrants or romantic wayfarers.

Since 2003 the Panský dům has once again been open to tourists and hotel guests.

PYRAMIDA CHALET

  • Nobody really knows why the "Pyramida" stone monument was built in Jizerka at the beginning of the 19th century. Possibly in honour of a visit made by Count Clam-Gallas in 1815. Perhaps to commemorate the first smelting in Riedel's glassworks in Jizerka in 1829.
  • Shortly after the glassworks was established a glass grinding plant was built next to the Pyramida monument.
  • At the end of the 19th century the Kunze family opened the "U pyramidy" inn in the glass grinding plant.
  • The inn prospered, and in 1927 a spacious timbered hall was added to it.
  • After World War Two the inn was run by the well-known Mrs. Kakrdová, née Kunze. At this time the Pyramida was the only hostelry in Jizerka.
  • In the 1960s Mrs. Kakrdová sold the Pyramida, since which time it has often changed hands. Some of the later owners added incongruous extensions, while the general maintenance of the building became more and more neglected.
  • However, despite this the Pyramida remained the centre of social life in Jizerka for a long time. For many visitors today, Jizerka is still an institution.
  • In spring 2005 general reconstruction work began on the building and was completed in April 2006. The Pyramida now offers a higher standard of services while managing to preserve its traditional atmosphere. The restoration of the stage has helped to boost the Pyramida once again as a social centre.
Gasthaus_zur_PyramidePyramida_s_drevemPyramida_stavba

SKLÁRNA

The Sklárna is a state-protected stone building built by the Riedel family, the king of the Jizera Mountains glassmakers, in 1866 as the second most modern glassworks in Jizerka. The glassworks smelted glass and manufactured glass products until the beginning of the 20th century. Wood from the local forests was used as fuel for the glass furnace.

At the beginning of the 20th century coal began to be used as a source of energy. The glassworks moved from the uplands to the valleys. The new glassworks in Jizerka closed down in 1911.

stara sklarnajizerka sklarnySklarna_stara_rozvaliny

Until the Second World War the Sklárna was used as a tourist hostel. After the war it was used mostly as a warehouse, garage, and so on. Its maintenance was largely neglected.

The traditional St. Anna's glassmaking festival in Jizerka is linked with the local glassmaking tradition.

After 1990 the building was restored, saving it from demolition. Now the Sklárna serves as a restaurant and guest house. We are gradually building an indoor sports centre in the unique, enormous stone production hall.

Request form

Name / company
Arrival
Rooms Night Childs Adults
Email

Phone no.
Note 

The Pansky dum and Pyramida

Comfortable accommodation in the beautiful and rugged countryside of a highland plateau in the Jizera Mountains. Restaurant and lounges for up to 100 people; training facilities. Stylishly furnished rooms in refurbished historical buildings. Mountain trails for cyclists, well-kept tracks for cross-country skiers, footpaths for hikers. Forests, meadows, rocks, peat bogs, mountain streams.